1Find a place of shelter in one’s present location and stay there until instructed otherwise, typically in accordance with a public safety directive during an emergency.
- ‘the university urged its students to shelter in place after reports that a person with a gun was on campus’
- 1.1Remain at home, with only limited exceptions, in order to inhibit the spread of an infectious disease, typically in accordance with a public directive.
- ‘now is your last chance to stock up on supplies and prepare to shelter in place’
1A public safety directive invoked during an emergency, instructing people to find a place of shelter in their present location and stay there until instructed otherwise.
- ‘a shelter in place is in effect after a flammable liquid leaked from a pipeline’
- 1.1A public directive requiring people to remain at home, with only limited exceptions, in order to inhibit the spread of an infectious disease.‘the mayor first spoke of the possibility of a shelter in place on Tuesday’
- ‘we have now issued a shelter in place order for all residents’